Retargeting is a powerful tactic to attract your site visitors and convert the users who sign up, subscribe, download your eBook, and so much more on your site. The reason it is so useful because returning visitors show a greater interest in your products and services. The odds of them clicking and converting are much higher with retargeting. These odds increase the more your target customers see your ads. It can seem to be a daunting tactic at first, but with some basic information, the value and appeal of retargeting should be apparent. With that, here’s a basic rundown of retargeting.
The first question that may be on your mind is what exactly is retargeting? Put simply, retargeting is a digital marketing tactic that helps for converting customers and keeping your brand on the forefront of bounced traffic after they leave your website. For example, most websites only have 2% of their traffic convert on first visits. Retargeting allows you to reach the other 98% of customers that do not convert right away.
Furthermore, it is a marketing tactic that uses customers’ previous actions. Basically, if a customer visits your website but does not convert, you can set up ad campaigns advertising your business on other websites and search engines that they visit.
Now the way this works is rather simple. You begin by placing a small bit of code on your website (sometimes called a pixel). It isn't visible to visitors and won't affect their experience or your website's performance.
The code uses browser cookies to tag visitors and the cookies show your retargeting ads be displayed on the visitor’s browser when they search the internet. The best part is that it will only show these ads to people who have previously visited your website.
This is what makes retargeting so effective because it targets people who are already familiar with your business have demonstrated interest. It tends to have a slightly higher ROI than some of the other digital marketing techniques.
One thing to take note of is that retargeting is best used as part of an overall broader digital marketing strategy. Try to use it in conjunction with your Google Ads, content marketing and whatever digital marketing techniques you're using to drive traffic to your website. Because here's the thing, retargeting helps with conversion but can't drive traffic to your website.
However, the mentioned techniques drive traffic but not conversion. The best formula for success is using these techniques together with both covering for the other's weaknesses. This will ensure that your website gets traffic and brand awareness through the retargeting ads.
Retargeting is a fantastic option if you’re looking to deliver relevant ads to a specific type of audience. It is also great for developing your brand recognition as it allows for consistent reinforcement of your brand in customers eyes. By delivering the messages and ads your target audiences want to see, you have a higher chance of converting them and growing your business. This is just a basic run-down of what retargeting can offer. But hopefully it gives you a glimpse into how retargeting can be incorporated into your digital marketing strategy and a successful retargeting campaign.